Sunday, March 18, 2012

Material Girl

Anyone who knows me knows that, on a scale from 1 to high-maintenance, I hover somewhere around a 6. I don't drink from water fountains. I will never wear knockoff brands. I certainly will never eat Cool Whip. This also means that I have a crapload of kitchen gadetry. Some of it is truly useless (I'm looking at you, miniature whisk) but some of it I genuinely could not live without. In my cooking life that is. I don't really need my collapsible bowl from Pampered Chef on a day-to-day basis. But on a meal-to-meal one? HELL YES. And I would buy like, 4 more. So here is a comprehensive list of 5 things in my kitchen I genuinely could not live without. It goes without saying that I highly recommend them all.

1. Silpat Baking Mat, $24.99
The Silpat is a strange animal. It is simultaneously sticky and slimy, almost amphibian. It seems unlikely that it could do better than Pam cooking spray at keeping your stuff from sticking to the baking sheet, but it does. Not only is it non-stick, it is so much more. It keeps the bottoms of your cookies a light golden-brown and not charcoal black. It spreads the heat from the tray around so everything cooks evenly. Also, it wipes off easily with soap and water and keeps you from having to scrub and hack at the crap that gets left on your cookie sheet. They're kind of pricey individually but if you bake a lot, I recommend getting two at the very least.

To buy: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=11556167

2. 4-Quart Pampered Chef Collapsible Bowl, $20.99
When my mom got this collapsible bowl for me, I told her it was a waste of money and that I would never use it. I am forced to eat my words nearly every time I cook. The fact that this dumb bowl pops into shape when you want it and squeezes flat when you don't is so useful I can't even begin to describe it succinctly. Suffice it to say that the cabinet space in my apartment's kitchen isn't so much limited as it is built for giant people. This means I have to shove everything I use regularly into about three small cabinets...which means things that take up less space are in high demand. Cue the collapsible bowl.

To buy: http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=26444&words=collapsible%20bowl

3. Room Essentials Silicone-Backed Potholder, prices vary
Generally, a potholder is a potholder but these go above and beyond the call of duty. Aside from coming in about 9 different shades, the no-slip back is a godsend for baking dishes that have gotten gooey in the oven or slippery non-stick pans that have slid all the way to the back. With a regular potholder I find that I live in constant terror of dropping whatever scorching-hot apparatus I'm holding onto my (usually) bare feet. Not so with these oven mitts. Honestly, football players should probably wear them so they can hang onto the ball better.

To buy: Target

4. Wilton Disposable Decorating Bags, 12 for $5.50
This is another must-have for anyone who bakes and ices with relative frequency. I love being able to just throw the stupid pastry bag away when I'm done with it, instead of having to scoop out the excess icing with my hands and then wash it. Plus, the fact that the set comes with 12 means you can use a few at a time if you're decorating something particularly intricate. The seams can occasionally burst if you're too heavy-handed but overall, the price and convenience makes it very worthwhile.

To buy: Sur la Table stores or http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-560748/Wilton-Disposable-Decorating-Bags

5. OXO Silicone Basting Brush, $9.99
For the grill master supreme, or anyone who cooks meat on a regular basis, a good basting brush is a necessity. I like this one because first of all, it's dishwasher safe and second of all, the silicone brush part actually hangs on to the basting marinade instead of dumping it all over the counter or whatever. As an added bonus, the handle is non-slip. Since silicone is pretty resilient, you don't have to worry about the brush bursting into flame if you baste over the grill/fire-pit/etc.

To buy: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14082557

No comments:

Post a Comment