Thursday, April 26, 2012

How to follow a recip--look, a squirrel!

I am incapable of following a recipe. If I had an Indian name, it would probably be Princess Cannot Follow Recipe...Dancing Deer or some shit. It's bad. But sometimes, it works in my favor. I wanted to make a light lemon shrimp scampi when my friend (and soon-to-be roommate) Lauren came over for dinner, but I didn't have the right ingredients. So I improvised. It turned into a great, refreshing and light pasta dish that I will totally make again. I'm lucky that I had lemon pepper linguine in my cupboard thanks to one of my best friends who made me a gourmet food care package, but any linguine will work just fine.

2 c. small shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1/4 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lemon, cut into quarters
1 1/2 c. fresh spring peas, shelled
1 lb. pasta, cooked according to box
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a medium sized saucepan, saute onion and garlic with the juice of one of the lemon quarters and the italian seasoning
2. As the onions and garlic cook, add the shrimp and cook over medium heat, stirring often so that the shrimp begin to caramelize, add the juice of another lemon quarter
3.  Steam the peas over low heat with the juice of another quarter until tender but not mushy, about 3-4 minutes
4. When the pasta and peas are cooked, drain together and then add to saucepan with shrimp, stir to combine

Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and the last wedge of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment