Sunday, January 11, 2015

Fritters, Not Quitters

Yesterday morning I woke up with a sore throat.

Yesterday afternoon I felt like a truck hit me.

Last night, I was reasonably sure death was imminent.

Then this morning, when Tommy and I awoke to an extended barrage of cannon fire at exactly 9:15, I was sure we were both done for. But apparently that was just for some unknown festival.

I still felt miserable when Tommy rolled out of bed and inquired about breakfast. Before coming down with this stupid cold, I had said I would make him banana fritters with fresh strawberry sauce. He gallantly told me I didn't have to cook, that I could just tell him what to do, but I decided to soldier on. Strawberry sauce was perhaps a bit far-reaching but I could handle the fritter.

Let me pause here a moment to discuss briefly the lowly fritter. It's just an ingredient of your choice mushed up with egg and flour and fried to golden, crunchy perfection. My Auntie Jasmine is from Jamaica and she makes the finest banana fritters known to man. They're so light and crunchy that if you don't grab one right off the bat they'll rise up and float away. I have no idea how she does it. Everything that woman cooks is magic. Don't even get me started on her chicken curry.

Because I have watched her make them about 6 dozen times, I know the drill. Mashed up bananas, eggs, flour, milk and a generous shake or two of cinnamon and nutmeg. Don't let them burn.

It's not hard.

And what you end up with is a tiny, self-contained banana-bread type thing that combines all the best parts of breakfast foods: crunchy, a little greasy, sweet and piping hot. Even with a throat coated in glass shards and a head full of gunk (where in the sam hill does it all come from??? QUESTIONS THAT NEED ANSWERS) I can make banana fritters. And you can too. Happy Sunday.

Ingredients:
(Makes about 6 3-inch fritters)
3 bananas, roughly mashed
2 eggs
2 heaping tbs. flour
Splash of milk
Hefty pinch of cinnamon
Smaller pinch of nutmeg
1/2 c. vegetable oil

1. Combine banana, egg and flour in a medium bowl, mash to combine.

2. Heat oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium-low heat.

3. Add milk just to wet the mixture, it shouldn't be too runny. Add cinnamon and nutmeg.


4. Using a 1/4 measuring cup, drop the batter into the hot oil.


Let cook for about a minute on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and drizzle with honey if desired.






No comments:

Post a Comment