Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Too fruity to function

As any good Jew or moderately knowledgeable goy knows, Passover starts this Friday at sundown. Cue funeral march.

I love being Jewish because, face it, we're just plain better (if you want to argue just go look at a picture of Natalie Portman and eat some brisket) but Passover BLOWS. I'm all for getting out of Egypt and sticking it to Pharaoh but leavened bread is the greatest thing since the 10 plagues. And giving it up for 8 days, substituting delicious and fluffy bread items with cardboard (matzoh) that sits in your stomach for at least a week after Pesach ends is the pits.

In short, Pesach is a sad and bloated time for me. I pine after Life cereal and massage my stomach, counting the days until I can throw away every piece of Passover-related food in my kitchen and dance around with a hunk of bread in one hand and a doughnut in the other. And I don't even really like doughnuts. That's how much matzoh meal gets to me.

While I can't give any cure to hating unleavened bread less, I can make your stomach stop hurting quite so badly with the ugliest recipe I know of: fruit compote.

It's just every dried fruit in my kitchen with a few healthy teaspoons of cinnamon and a splash of orange juice that's been simmered away for at least an hour. It's easy and tasty and, as an added bonus will make your house smell good. Don't eat too much at once though or you will be very sorry. FFTFW.



Fruit Compote 
Ingredients:
Prunes, raisins, apricots or whatever other dried fruits you have on hand (the more variety the better)
1/2 C orange juice, plus more if needed
3-4 heaping tsp. cinnamon (depends on amount of fruit)

1. Put all fruits in a big stockpot
2. Cover with water, add ½ Cup of orange juice
3. Add cinnamon, stir
4. Cover and let come to a boil
5. Reduce heat, then let simmer for at least an hour
6. If liquid dissipates, add more orange juice

No comments:

Post a Comment