Saturday, November 3, 2012

The big O(reo)

Halloween is and always will be my favorite holiday. I love everything about it: making (never buying) my costume, carving pumpkins, decorating the house, drinking cider and last but certainly not least eating delicious Halloween candy and miscellaneous confections.

Here in Spain, Halloween isn't as big of a deal. People don't really get into it like we do in the States and let me just say here and now that while I love Spain, it will always be lower on my list than any country that truly appreciates the importance and spirit of Halloween.

Anyway, this Halloween night I didn't get dressed up for the first time in memory and it was really tough. The sugar pumpkin (aka eating pumpkin) I acquired from the grocery store was equally so. No really, it was stupid thick. And then it turned out looking sort of like Voldemort so I put a sombrero on it:

I give you...Meximort?
Tommy and I had a quiet night in with one of our friends who had an early flight to Prague in the morning. I made French onion soup (coming soon to a blog near you) and the increasingly-culinary Tommy made Oreo truffles.

And they were unbelievably good.

Hence the title of this post.

They were also ridiculously easy so I highly recommend making them for a potluck (or I mean just to eat) because they take about 15 minutes to actively make and then about 30-40 to chill. Max. Plus you can decorate them with drizzles and sprinkles and stuff which we would have done were it not for a total lack of decorative items in my kitchen.

I would say the hardest part of this recipe is not eating most of the ingredients at various stages during the construction.

They were gone within 12 hours.

Ingredients:
1 16-oz package of Oreos (do not use those shitty fake ones or you will burn in knockoff purgatory)
1 8-oz package of cream cheese
16 oz of bittersweet or white or semi sweet or dark chocolate, melted

1. In a large bowl, crush the Oreos to a medium consistency.


2. Scoop the cream cheese right on top of there and mix well to blend. 


3. Form 1 inch balls from the mixture and place on a baking sheet covered in waxed paper. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate. Once the chocolate is melted, dip the Oreo balls and roll them around to cover completely. You can use a fork to do this or a spoon or tongs, whatever you like.


4. Let chill for about an hour until the chocolate is hardened. Demolish.


No comments:

Post a Comment