Sunday, November 4, 2012

Apples to apples

One more for you today because Dexter is taking a long-ass time to buffer. Also I'm feeling magnanimous and because I'll be gone in Barcelona this coming weekend so there will be no blogging.

I give you: apple salad.

This is one of my favorite breakfasts to make because it not only keeps me full for a long time it's also easy. You can also eat it for a quick snack to tide you over until your next meal and not feel badly about blowing calories on something from a vending machine.

This is always more fun if you have good stuff to put in it like pecans and hazelnuts and stuff like that but the bare bones (apples and yogurt) are good by themselves too.

I always use fat-free Greek yogurt in it because it has more protein in it and fewer calories than most other yogurts. And for god's sake, if you haven't heard this already stop eating "light" flavored yogurt because it's just packed with refined sugars and isn't really worth the calories. You're better off taking plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt and putting a teaspoon of your favorite jam into it. And yes, just one teaspoon.

Anyway, back to apple salad. I like to spice mine up (ha ha) with a little cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger but you can do what you'd like. If plain yogurt isn't sweet enough for you, add a small drizzle of honey, although the sugar in the apple should be more than enough.

When I made this the last time, I added sultana raisins, hazelnuts and walnuts to the mix and it was delicious. Tommy ended up eating a lot more of it than I bargained for but oh well. It's so easy you can make it again in 5 minutes.

Ingredients:
1 half apple, cubed
5 oz. plain non-fat Greek yogurt (just one of those little cups)
1 tbs. raisins
2 tbs. chopped nuts
Pinch each of cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg

1. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and stir to incorporate the spices. Chow down, guilt free.

No comments:

Post a Comment